Brake light failure-Console cover tab needed

I've now had 3 E36 cars at the same time, (318is, M3, 328is) that have the "Brake light failure" notice on the check panel. They all are on the driver's side. I've tried numerous bulbs and different bulb holders, even sanded the contacts with no luck. Anyone have a solution for this? It's driving me crazy plus it might net a traffic stop.

TIA

Evan

PS Anyone have a spare console switch cover they could sell me? It's the small black cover that usually holds the Hi Fi, heated seat, DSC switches.