Re: m42 stumbling--cam timing?

> My repair manual doesn't give a procedure for or discuss the possibility of
> adjusting the cams. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Or is this a Car
> Talk "Bo-oo-gus" moment?

BMW cams are adjustable, the sprockets bolt onto the
camshaft with four bolts, but the sprocket holes are very
elongated for adjustment.

Try this. Put the engine to top dead centre and remove the
valve cover. There are square sections along the ends of
both camshafts. If you place a ruler over both they should
be in line with each other give or take a tiny amount.

I don't get time to check the digest as often as I used to
so please email me if there's a prob.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!