Re: <E28> will 17" wheels from an 89 5 series fit?

Ron J <ron@domain.elided> wrote:

> Doing some wheel shopping for the car, and I was wondering if the 17"
> factory wheels off an 89 or newer 5 series will fit my car (85 535i) the
> bolt pattern should be the same as well as the centric hub, as far as I
> know...

Wheels from the E34 ('89-'95) will bolt right up with no problem.  However,
the only 17" stock wheels that I know of in that era were from the M5 and
you're going to pay through the teeth for them.  Wheels from the E39 ('96+)
will fit, but you will need hub-centric rings (available from Tire Rack,
among other places).  Aftermarket wheels are, of course, available.

With all of that said, I feel compelled to spew my opinions about this
"upgrade".  If you merely want the look of 17" wheels and have the bux
to blow, have at it and ignore the rest of this post.

IMNSHO, 16" wheels with 225/50/16 tires is the optimum setup for an E28
with stock or nearly stock suspension.  Putting 17" wheels onto an E28
(or almost any stock non-M older BMW for that matter...) will likely
detract from cornering grip and acceleration performance unless you have
a seriously uprated suspension and very lightweight 17" wheels.  Turn-in
response may be somewhat improved if that is important to you.  17"
wheels/tires are also pretty $pendy.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner