m42 stumbling--cam timing?

Well, I'm at it again with my '91 318i. After replacing everything I could
think of and that was suggested by list members, I caved and took it in to
the dealer. They spent 3 hours messing with it and finally came out to tell
me they had no idea; that the only fault code was from me disconnecting the
airflow sensor when I was replacing some other stuff. The mech shrugged his
shoulders and said maybe it was the cam timing. I admit it feels like a
timing problem, but ignition timing is not adjustable, and I have never
heard of cam timing. He wants to pull the head and check it ($250).

The car runs, and the computer can mostly compensate for whatever the
problem is, but the crisp, smooth throttle response I've come to expect is
gone.

My repair manual doesn't give a procedure for or discuss the possibility of
adjusting the cams. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Or is this a Car
Talk "Bo-oo-gus" moment?

I have replaced the following:
O2 sensor
Plugs