<E28> Ongoing Idle / Stalling Issues..Back from the Wrench

Hi All.

Just got back from the wrench.. I now have a new fuel filter.  The one that
came out of the car was from 1996.  (previous owner never changed it at all)
Wow.. they are supposed to be changed every 10,000 miles.  Since I purchased
the car last April, I hadnt changed it.  The filter was pretty heavy and
when my mechanic friend blew through it, he said it was pretty gummed up.
We ordered a new one, and when it showed up, I compared the two, and the old
one wieghed at least an ounce or two more than the new one.  We put the new
filter on.  The rough idle is now gone, and I drove the car for about 1 hour
afterwards and it seems a lot smoother.

We checked the plugs as well and they need changing, so I will be doing
that, and I am taking the car back to him in a week to get the valves
adjusted, and to get a new O2 sensor installed.  The broken wire is also
most likely causing a problem.  It does seem like the Feul filter was making
a major contribution to the feul system problem, along with the 2.5 bar FPR,
and the broken O2 sensor wire.  2 issues down, one left to go.

My wrench friend also said that I will notice a major difference with the
valves adjusted, timing, and new plugs, which I totally agree on.

Anyway.  I was quoted $305 for a new O2 sensor in Canadian Dollars.  So now
I have to try and hunt one down, that is cheaper.  I guess that was dealer
price (mechanic called).  Anyone have any suggestions as to where I should
get an O2 sensor at a better price than that?

Cheers
Ron J
85 535i
73 911s 2.7