Re: Cold weather and the 524TD

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Melinda Vasil wrote:

> Last November, I purchased an '85 BMW 524TD.  My problem is - this
> does not seem to be a good winter car (so far, in my experience).
> I wondered if you had problems starting your 524TD in cold
> weather?  Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.  It seems
> anytime the temperature dips below freezing, my car just refuses
> to start.  Any suggestions??  Thanks!

 Wow.  I've been on various BMW lists for years, and this is the first
time I've ever heard of someone driving a TD.  The only discussion
I've ever seen about them is using the crankshaft from the TD to build
a stroker motor.
 I can only offer generic advice.  Diesels are cranky when cold.  If
there are glow plugs to assist cold start, make sure they're all good.
Make sure the battery and all the starter wiring is tip-top.  Use a
block heater if you have one.  Make sure you follow the starting
instructions from the manual - there's often a period after turning on
the ignition that you wait for some light to go out...

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro