<E28> Appearance of 'Oil Service" light on dash.

Hi All,

I was driving along the other day, and looked down to notice that the "Oil
Service" light had illuminated on my 85 535i for the first time since I have
owned the car.  I also noticed that the service indicator lights that run
right-left varying in color from green to red had started to light up.  the
only one that has ever been on for the almost year I have had the car, has
been the one on the far right (one red one), and I have changed the oil
several times, and have never experienced the "oil service" light.  I am
coming up on another 3000 mile oil change, however the apperacne of this
light is odd.  Can anyone explain the sudden showing?

Cheers
Ron J
85 535i
73 911s 2.7