Epilog: Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Replacement

Thanks for the tips and comments I received on Rear Trailing Arm Bushing
replacement.

     New OEM bushings don't flex sideway into the mounting cup but they
aren't designed to resist a side load.  The side swagger sufficient for
the rubber to hit the insides of the mounting cup started by 20k miles
or less.  What kills them is the side flex fatigues the inner 'folded'
section around the metal sleeve, and then the tearing begins.  The
Ground Control shims prevent the side flexing from happening.  The
difference in rear suspension response from old bushings to new is
similar to replacing worn out rear subframe bushings on an old 2002 or
E21/E30 with new ones, like jogging on the beach versus running on the
sidewalk.  I don't think the shims help handling so much as prevent the
degradation of OEM bushings.
     One idea I thought while doing the job yesterday is a possible
scenario that leads to the bolt sleeves cracking out of the floor where
they are welded.  This happens when bad bushings are not replaced.  It
happened on my E36 when one of the original bushings suddenly broke at
28k miles.  BMW replaced the bushings and repaired the damaged sleeve
welds under warranty.  If I had had nonstock springs or bars, however,
they said they would not have.
     The welded sleeve assembly may be strong enough for any load
cornering the car could reasonably generate.  But if the bushing is
flexing so drastically, the front of the trailing arm may make a nearly
undamped impact sideways into the cup.  The iimpact would place more
sudden load on the sleeve welds than any cornering force that could be
transmitted by a nondamaged bushing which would be dampening the side
movement.
     BMW has never come out and said why these sleeve welds sometimes
fail, so this scenario could be correct.
     Btw, my torque wrench broke putting the wheels back on.  The real
problem with my torque wrench is it brand.  Craftsman give a warranty
and it never lost calibration, but if I was a Snap On, it would not have
broken.
     One guess what my new torque wrnch will be?
     BBtw I took the car for a ride late last night to check out the new
bushings, found no one in sight on a smooth stretch of the 101 north
from San Jose so got the car up to 151 (indicated).  By how it was still
pulling, tops would be at least 155 but I'm not going to try again
anytime soon.  The ellipsoid headlights with 100 watt H1 bulbs gave
plenty of visibility even going that fast, but there was traffic ahead
so I had to slow down.  Slowing 150 to eighty on medium hard braking was
stable, no side wiggle.  With the old bushings, the rear was noticeably
less surefooted on braking much over 100 mph.
Onward,

'jk