Re: Bipass Oil Filtration Systems

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 alex.fadeev@domain.elided wrote:

> >  The logic is that the by-pass filter removes particles smaller
> > than 1 micron, on the theory that particles in the 5-20 micron
> > range are responsible for 60% of all engine wear.  Full flow
> > filters only filter down to about 25 microns.
>
> John,
> Oil bypass is a spring loaded devise in the oil filter that opens up when
> the filter gets clogged. The idea is that it's better to oil the engine
> with unfiltered lube than not at all.
> Are suggesting filtering that bypass channel?
> Or are you saying that all stock filters suck and a finer particle filters
> are the only thing that will save the engines from impending demise?

 You are correct about the bypass mechanism in a standard full-flow
filter setup.  We're not talking about that at all.  All stock filters
do not suck.  Finer filtration is better though.
 My by-pass filter hooks into the port where the oil pressure sender
lives.  It steals a little oil from there, routes it to a large
external filter with an efficiency in the 1 micron range, and drops it
back into the engine through a port in the valve cover.  The standard
filter filters ALL the oil, and the by-pass filter filters a little at
a time.

> >  This is great if you drive a lot of miles, want to maintain the
> > highest standards of cleanliness, and like the long drain intervals.
> > Some of these guys are going 2 or 300k miles with only filter changes.
>
> That's crazy.
> Sorry if that is too strong a language for some of the readers.
> Any oil, including synthetics, breaks down in the 3-25K range. Engine
> operating conditions have a lot to do with it, so milage alone is not a
> good indicator of oil degradation.

 High quality synthetic, coupled with the by-pass filtration system is
capable of going much longer.  Part of the strategy is replacing both
filters every 6 months or 12.5k miles.  That adds a couple quarts of
fresh oil to the system.  The filters keep the oil squeaky clean
particulate wise, and the periodic addition of oil keeps the additive
package adequate.  It really does work, and oil analysis proves it.
 That being said, it isn't for everyone, but long-haul truckers (who
have ~11 gallon oil sumps!) and other high mileage users appreciate
such a system for the low frequency of maintenance.

> But than this is the first I'm hearing about stock oil filtering
> inadequacies and am yet to research the subject.

 Like I said, it isn't so much about existing filter inadequacy as it
is about filtering better, going longer, and throwing less oil in the
recycling tank.

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro