Re:was resistor in the O2 loop now AFM flap shennanigans

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Ric wrote:

> ROB Wrote>>>>>
>
> However, there are better (and easier) ways to do this... for
> example,
> adjusting the tension on the AFM flap by a few notches will give
> you a
> nice, fine adjustment of the fuel mixture (at least on older
> cars, like
> my E30).
>

> Can you tell us more about this or point us in the right
> direction?

 I don't think these flap shenanigans will get you any benefit. When
the motor runs in closed loop mode, it watches the O2 sensor for the
results of the inputs.  If the AFM were to change its behaviour, the
ECU would merely adjust in a short while and you'd be back to normal,
mixture-wise.
 As for full throttle operation when the O2 sensor is ignored by the
ECU, the AFM flap is fully open above 3000 RPM or so.  Adjusting the
flap spring pressure a little will do nothing for you in the "fun
zone" of RPMs and throttle.

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro