Re: '93 318isA ?s

eevans@domain.elided wrote:

> I just bought my daughter a '93 318isA to get her through college. It
> has 130K and is in very good cosmetic condition. Here's my ?, the
> driver's side electric window likes to reverse itself during roll up
> or roll down and sometimes won't budge at all when it's down. I did
> take the door panel off. I found the connection plug to the motor and
> by cleaning, connecting and disconnecting the plug the window would
> sometimes try to move, but never fully roll up or down. Is it time
> for a new window motor?

Evan,
The motor has a built-in "safety roll down" regulator that is detecting
excessive resistance to window roll up or is plain faulty.
If it's the former, you are shopping for a new regulator. I do not believe
the sensor is available separately.
Hopefully it is the latter. If so, a liberal annual application of $5 BMW
rubber gasket goo "gummypfludge" - definitely the wrong spelling, will
help.
Another possibility is that the $1 plastic sliders that connect the
regulator to the window rail are broken. In that case the window either
does not move much at all or collapses entirely.

> Problem # 2, the AC compressor stays on all of the time the engine is
> on unless I disconnect power to it. What could that be?

Bad AC switch?
FWIW, E36 cars run AC whenever you select to recirculate cabin air.

> Problem # 3, has to do w/ the keyless entry.

Sorry, can't help there as I don't have that gizmo.

Hope this helps,
alex f