Re: ABS

Missed part of this discussion, but wanted to throw in
my $2.50's worth..($.02 can't buy nuttin!)

When I took the Skip Barber school back in 1986 (in a
1986 535i), they had us do panic stops with the ABS
turned on.  Then, they turned it off (had modified
cars with ABS switches) and taught us to use
"threshold braking" techniques.  If a skid (and ABS)
occurs at a 10 out of 10 brake pressure, the maximum
threshold braking is 9.9 pressure.

Funny thing...once we learned threshold braking, we
stopped significantly quicker and shorter distance
with Threshold Braking than with ABS.  The instructor
said (if I remember correctly) that ABS is only
preferred when on snow-covered ice or something like
that.  Personally, if I trigger the ABS, I feel that
I've screwed up!

Michael in Chicago
http://mailplus.yahoo.com