RE: Jacking the E36

Rather than using the rear differential as a jacking point, use the
subframe.  There is a subframe piece, just ahead of the rear diff, that sits
below the driveshaft.  It's flat, and is an easy place to reach with a floor
jack.

For the front, you can also jack the car from the center, using the
subframe.  It's more difficult to reach on my M3, because of the low front
airdam.

When I need to jack a single wheel and use a jackstand, I jack the car using
a jackplate made by Steve DeGerolamo at Ultimate Garage:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/jackplat.html

Recently, another company (Pelican Parts) has started selling a similar (but
not the same) jack pad, for a lower price:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/BE21/POR_BE21_miscel_pg1.htm#item1

I don't know how good their jackpad is.  I have the jackpad from Ultimate
Garage, and it's a great piece.  It'll definitely outlive me!

One other thing...Pelican Parts has a tech document on jacking BMWs:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Jacking_Up/E36-Jacking_Up.htm

I can't say I agree with everything they say in this document, but it's
another possibility to try.

Ron Buchalski
BMWCCA #76387
1995 E36 M3