Newbie E36 stereo question

Hello

I recently bought a '96 E36 4-door 328i with the Harman Kardon stereo and the
CD changer in the trunk.

The problem I am having is that the head unit (cassette and radio) is flaking
out, so I need to replace it.  Is it true that the only replacement is the
exact same unit because the changer is proprietary design by Alpine?  What are
my options? Ideally I *would* like to keep the changer, but can do without it
if need be.  Also, if I were to buy a regular (non-proprietary) head unit,
will it still be compatible with the amplifier?

Thanks in advance,

Spiros