re: 4L30-E trans fluid

The GM Powertrain website,

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/4l30_main.htm

clearly states that th fluid for the 4L30-E is Dexron III. Elsewhere on
the site it mentions that the transmissions are assembled in in a clean
room (in Strassbourg, France), filled with fluid, and sealed before they
are shipped to the customer. GM considers Dexron III to be a lifetime
fluid.

- -tc

> Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 20:21:24 -0500
> From: "J. W. Baker" <jwbaker@domain.elided>
> Subject: 528i (4LE30) Automatic Transmission Fluid
>
> I have read many pros and cons regarding the changing of the Lifetime
ATF in
> the 528i GM 4LE30 (A5S310R)transmission. Many have stated it is a
special
> fluid. Label on the bottom of the pan states Lifetime Fluid BMW # 83 22
9
> 407 858, 83 22 9 407 859, (Dexron III). When I look the part numbers up
on
> the ETK it says Dexron III).
>
> Has anyone changed the fluid in their 528i GM 4LE30
(A5S310R)transmission?
> If so what fluid did you use. Penzoil/Quaker State list a MULTI-VEHICLE
ATF
> that is suppose to replace Dexron III, ESSO LT71141 and Shell LA2634.
Has
> anyone used this ATF?
>
> Any thoughts or information regarding this subject would be appreciated.

- --
Ted Crum
tedcrum@domain.elided