Re:Oil Consumption

Hello All,
I've been lurking and I apologize for not introducing myself.  I have
several cars but no BMW yet.  I'd love to find a 7 series or M5 that I could
afford.  Anyway, I have a 67 MGB, 74 911, 78 Mercedes and a van, pickup and
Chrysler - way to many cars for my wife and I.  ;-)

I missed the original post about oil consumption on a newish BMW but woud
like to share some experience with other vehicles of similar age.  You might
notice in my sig line that I run a Oil Analysis business - that would be my
first suggestion, to get a oil analysis to see if there are excess
contamination from the different metals which will indicate which component
might be failing - if any.  Given that, I've aso see cars that are fairly
new use what seems to be more than their fair share of oil - only to have it
eventually break in after an extended period.  I've also tested oil in very
new vehicles (the latest was a '02 996 with around 4000 miles) that had
abnormal levels of contamination in the oil.  Fortunately, subsequent
analysis show normal levels of contamination which would indicate a certain
amount of contamination will be present when the car leaves the factory.
During the assembly and manufacturing process contaminants creep into the
process no matter how clean the area is - so it would appear.

Anyway, my suggestion would be an Oil Analysis (not necessarily from me, but
from someone).   Also, if anyone is interested in seeing test results
collected over the past year, check out : www.members.rennlist.com/oil
(there's a couple of BMWs in there)
Please let me now if there are any questions.

Lurk back on!  ;-)
LarryT 74 911
Donate to the D-Day Memorial Fund at:
http://www.dday.org/virtual_pledge_card.html

Oil Analysis - A blood Test For Your Engine!
www.youroil.net