RE: <E36> Battery drains

>> a dozen cars and never had a problem like this.  We\'re talking
>> milliamps of current.  Has anyone else experienced a problem like
>> this?  Maybe the alternator isn\'t putting out what it should?  Other
>> ideas?

To add to what\'s already been said by other posters, the factory specification for the E36 maximum drain current is just 30mA !
Then, according to factory instructions, you\'ll have to wait at least 16 minutes to let all the electrical systems (e.g. factory alarm, central locking) have settled down to their idle state.
Another possible source of the high drain current can be the rectifier bridge inside the alternator itself.
I had similar problem with my E34, which used to draw 100mA and my 85Ah battery went dead in 3 days. Turned out to be the check-control module inside the fuse box that did not shut itself down with ignition turned off. It was easy to discover though, as taking out fuse no 20 made all the difference. Then I put the fuse back, and pulling out the module itself gave me exact same result.
So you better get the drain current close to the spec to be safe.

Priit
\'92 530i