<E36> Battery drains

Problem:  If the car sits for any extended period of time (2 - 4
days) without running, the battery is too weak to start the car.  Not
quite dead, but not enough juice to start, either.

Background:  We have had an ongoing problem in my wife's 318 since we
got it in '97.  She always runs a radar detector which stays on even
when the car is off.  She used to also keep her cell phone plugged in
and charging, but no longer does so.  We are on the third, maybe
fourth, battery.

The dealer is claiming the detector is killing the battery.
Especially as the battery is weakened with age (like about a year) it
is being dragged down by the detector until it is dead.  Claims that
BMWs are more sensitive to battery level than other cars.  Also has
checked the car several times and claims there isn't any other drain
when the detector is disconnected.

So this sounds like pure cr*p to me.  I've run detectors in at least
a dozen cars and never had a problem like this.  We're talking
milliamps of current.  Has anyone else experienced a problem like
this?  Maybe the alternator isn't putting out what it should?  Other
ideas?  I hate to add a battery a year to the maintenance schedule.
;-)
		-Bob