Re: <E36> Bilstein PSS9 coilovers or Koni Yellow Sport w/H&R Sport

Erik, this is EXACTLY the feedback I've been looking for!  Much firmer
than stock, even on the softest setting? Is it increased spring rate or
increased damping? Soft during the week, firm on weekends is also what I
had in mind. Sounds like an ideal setup to me.

When you say spacers I assume to mean to change the offset of your M3
wheels...I wouldn't worry about using spacers.  A lot of tuners
recommend them even on a fairly stock vehicle.

I'd like to lower my car 1.5" in the front and 1" in the rear, and I've
got 2001 sport package take-off wheels (17" spoke 44). Do you think I'll
have clearance probs as well?

Thanks again for the great feedback Erik.

Greg

I don't have any experience with Koni's but I recently put the PSS-9's
on my e36 325is.  The ride is MUCH firmer than stock but livable.  I
mostly keep it on the lowest setting for driving around town, anything
higher can become bone jarring.  The handling on the lowest setting is
much improved over stock.  Occasionally I will put the shocks on the
firmest settings for weekend events and such. On firm I cannot even
begin to explore the limits of the car. Adjusting is very easy and
although you may have to lie on your back for the fronts the whole
process takes less than 5 minutes.  Although expensive I would recommend
it if you don't mind a firm street ride with the ability to quickly
adjust for track use. When I had mine installed I had the front lowered
by about an inch.  This immediately gave me way to much negative camber
and killed the tires.  To fix this problem I installed k-Mac adjustable
camber/caster plates.  This fixed the camber issue but also raised the
front back to almost the original stock height.  I wanted to lower it
back down again but there was a clearance problem with the wheels I have
(stock 95 M3's) and the Bilstein's. If I am to lower it any more I will
have to use spacers, which I am not thrilled about. So in the end even
though the shocks are height adjustable I still have yet to get the
benefit out of it without using spacers. Also although the camber/caster
plates where self defeating , the increase in caster has been
outstanding.  I would highly recommend it to any one who is having
problems with wayward e36's with 17 wheels or larger.

Erik
94 325is