RE: Trip Report: Day 5 part 2 - The one that got away

+AD4-
+AD4- The other types are what appear to be the poseur-types, and they
+AD4- are in far
+AD4- greater numbers. They are the look-at-me riders who are decked out in
+AD4- Harley clothing and who appear to be wanna-be's. They always seem a
little
+AD4- disguised to me, as if they're wearing a uniform -- the Harley uniform.
+AD4- They seem to feel that because they have the Harley-marketed look, that
+AD4- they become, by osmosis, the original Harley distance rider.
+AD4-

Denise and I ran into a gaggle of these guys on our way around the Beeeeg
Lake.  I think it was in Manistee at a little cafe on the side of the road.
It had been drizzling pretty good for awhile and it was just turning to a good
soaking rain when we decided to stop for a bite to eat and to add a sweat
shirt under our gear.  The Harley guys showed up in jeans and leathers, some
guys with chaps.  None of them had rain gear and we had the full Motoport gear
so we were dry as could be.  They were putting newpapers on their seats to try
to keep their butts dry and a few of the women looked cold and less than
amused at the situation.

One of the guys (who seemed more like the +ACI-been there, done that+ACI- guy
of the group asked if he could check out my jacket.  Hi picked it up, checked
it over quickly and then showed it to the rest of their group.  He says to
them +ACI-Now THESE guys know how to tour+ACEAIg-  Then turning to us he
continued +ACI-I bet these things keep you warm and dry in the pouring rain at
50 degrees all day long+ACEAIg-

We talked about the gear for a little while and he offered that their gear (I
think he had a HG Scout jacket which was far better than most) wasn't the type
of stuff you wanted to be out in this crap in.  Of course he's the only one in
the group wearing chaps, so he was at least somewhat prepared.

But yeah, I typically say hi and let them decide what they want to do next.

John Virnig
'96 K1100RS