Re: Funky headlamps

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Richard Welty wrote:

> a lot of euro headlights now have what are called "city lights", which have
> an additional wire to the parking light circuit. a small conventional
> bulb in the headlight provides low key illumination of the reflector for
> visibility reasons. it won't help you see, but it will help others see you.
> i just put a set of 7" e-code cibies in an older car, and for an extra
> couple of bucks they came with city lights. i had to run an additional
> wire on each side, but now my 28 year old (non bmw) coupe has them too.

Oh, "city lights". Are they just an urban myth or more a religion?

By themselves, these humble, little bulbs quietly do their job making
sure you are not disturbed by expensive noises in the still of the
night or inconvenient silence when you go to start the car in the
morning. Pumped up with another pair of glowing, amber parking lights,
however, they attain fantastic powers undreamt of in Europe.

I believe Brother Richard, a good member of the Church of BMW, is
agnostic in this matter as he is careful to place "city lights" in
quotes.

Nihil obstat & Freude am Fahren.

- -John
'96 318is