E39 540 stalling

Has anyone experienced periodic stalling with their E39 540i (6 spd)?

It happens mostly in lower gears in city driving.  Engine stalls - no check
engine light - and starts right back up.

Again there is no CE light and no codes set as to a sensor malfunction.

I have an OBDII datalogger which can read codes and I did note a "crankshaft
sensor malfunction" message a few months ago, although no CE light.  I
cleared the code and it hasn't reappeared since - even with the recent
stalling.

I will probably replace the sensor - but any other ideas?

Scott Hemauer
'97 540i 6 spd
'95 Mitsu Eclipse GSX
'90 Talon TSI AWD