85 318i fun times

I recently acquired an 85 318i for a small fee. I purchased it knowing that it would start but not continue to run. So I went in search of a simple solution. I was positive that it was only the fuel pump relay because of a recall that my car just missed out on. Well, I ordered up the relay and got it today and installed it only to find that it did not solve the problem. Ahh!. Ok. So after looking throught all of the vital electrical connections and verifying that everything seemed to look ok (considering some idiot had neons hooked up and several wires are half there and some were almost burnt through from a short.) So after getting a fire extinguisher handy, I turned the car over while my dad sprayed gas into the air intake after filter and MAF sensor. Well. The car turned over as usual and as long as he kept spraying the gas the car would stay running. HAHAHA! so its in the fuel delivery system.

So i went back to what i thought was the fuel pump filter just in front of the drivers side rear wheel. Disconnected the incoming and outgoing lines and let the gas trickle into a pale. Well.. Genious me didn't realize this was actually the main fuel pump. So, in figuring that out I also noticed that the pump from inside the tank was not sending any fuel down to this pump. So after putting all that back together right, I went to the in-tank transfer pump and did a pulled another stupid trick by guessing which wire was the ground and which wire was the positive and directly put 12-volt juice straight to the pump to see if it ran at all. Nope it doesn't. after removing the sensor and the pump we, waited for the pump to dry put it on the bench and again tried to give it direct 12-volt power. Nope .. This is indeed a problem, if not the main problem.

Any other ideas or previous experiences with this sort of thing from anyone out there? I am a 21 yr old college kid who has had a 57 chevy truck since i was 16 and I grew up around my dad building and maintaining muscle cars. I think i can handle this crazy german machine. Let me know what you guys think.

B.T.W. I am looking to buy a new transfer fuel pump (the in tank one) if anyone knows where to go.

Thanks in Advance,

Adam A.