Re: I just can't fix it!

"Dale Sayre" <miden@domain.elided> wrote:

> I have a 87 325ic that has become a garage queen. I just can not
> figure out what is wrong with it. The car will start but just runs
> terrible. It will not continue to run unless you constantly feather
> the throttle up and down, The car will run very poorly at an idel
> after it warms up but then the check engine light comes on. This
> rough running condition exists through out the rpm range, but not
> as noticable at the accleleration. In other words I may give it
> considerable gas to keep it running and the acceleration to that
> higher rpm range seems fairly smooth. Trying to keep it a certain
> rpm range above idle is a problem as well it will again begin to
> start running rough.

Dale,
This sounds 100% like the Idle Control Valve (ICV) problems I've been
having on my '89 325i a few years ago. The ICV passed all Bentley
resistance/voltage tests but was still flaky/gummed up.

> I have replace the air flow sensor, the air induction boot or horn,
> cold start valve. Checked the air industion system for blockage.

What do you mean when you say 'cold start valve'?

> Does any one have any experience with this type of problem or can
> suggest any solution I would geatly appreciate it.................

How do the spark plugs look? Dry and light brown or black and filthy?
Last, but not least, there is a possibility of a flaky DME (a royal PITA to
trouble shoot).

> Please
> The car has 51,000 orginal miles.

Wow, you need to fix this thing and go out and DRIVE!

hope this helps,
alex f

End of bmw-digest V9 #2250