bmw-digest V9 #2244

Further to what Trubey said,

Things to check, (and this is due to experience with a dodge, and porsche
product doing the same thing)

Check the equivalent to a "Ballast Resistor" (if there is one) to make sure
it is good
Check your ignition coil, to make sure its not worn out
Check the contacts on the coil itself
Check the main power wires coming from the battery for corrosion, and
fraying.
Check all your fuse contacts as well, for contact, corrosion, and frayed
connections.
Check the ground wires coming off the battery as well.  Follow it to the
body and make sure its got a good contact.
Check the battery posts for that yellowey powdery battery acid stuff, use a
wire brush, clean the contacts (Baking soda and water works really well,
just make sure you dont get any inside the battery, since sodium bicarbonate
neutralizes battery acid)
Check the feul pump itself, and all the contacts going to it
Check the battery itself for amperage, cause it may read 12V but have no
ooomph (amperage output)

As well as all the stuff Trubey said

Oh, and a little tip I was taught a while ago for an easy way to check your
ignition wires, is open your hood at night and get the car running, and get
a windex style bottle, and fill it with water.  Put the nozzle on fine mist,
and then spray over the wires, while the car is running, and if you see
arcing, or sparks running between the wires, usually a blue color, then your
wires are shot.  get new ones..

Cheers
Ron Jordan
85 535i