[E36] Leaking valve cover

On my 94 325i, there is a valve coming out of the valve cover that looks
like a PCV value or something.  The hose connected to it loops back to
the intake, right before the throttle body and after the air sensor.
There is a lot of oil seeping out of this connection.  I plan to replace
this valve, whatever it is, but should I be worried about the amount of
oil that seems to getting into the intake from this connection?  I took
a look inside the connection between the throttle body and the mass air
sensor, and I do see oil stains in there.  The butterfly valve inside the
throttle body appears to be a slightly sludged up as well.  Seems to me
that I've got a problem if oil is being sucked into the intake.

Thanks for any help,
Jason