RE: adjusting rear Koni (E30)

Alex Fadeev wrote:
> Bob Sutterfield wrote:
> > ..., push (one finger) the little button at the top of
> > the cylinder while I turn the cylinder (rest of same
> > hand) in the desired direction, ...
>
> 2. ... it would take the arms of a guerrilla to compress
> the rear E36 M3 Koni SA shock on the car. The only way I
> can adjust it is by removing it off the car and using my
> body weight to compress it while I turn it.

With the chassis supported on jack stands, the trailing arms droop
almost to the shocks' full extension.  After I support the arm and
remove the lower bolt, the shock extends another inch or so.  On my
E30's rear Konis, there's a small button at the top of the cylinder.
Adjustment involves only pushing that button and rotating the shaft and
cylinder relative to each other.  Adjustment doesn't require
compression, but re-installation does.  To reattach the lower bolt, I
lift the lower bushing with my small floor jack until it aligns with the
tapped hole in the trailing arm.  Through it all, the shock stays
attached at the top.

Neither cooperative simians nor covert soldiers are needed :-)
- --
Bob Sutterfield
'87 E30 325iS http://bmwe30.net #1129 DAS KAR
'88 E28 535iS http://m535i.org   #154 IHR FUNF