Re: E36 Gas tank sender(s)

E36 Bentley Manual..... if you're going to work on your car, you owe it to
yourself to buy this.  REALLY.

> also for fuel gauge, if my gauge reads haywire when i am in the reserve area
>
> of gas, "it will read a half a tank" which side of the sending unit would
> be
> bad? left ? right?

The circuit diagram is clear on this, they're in series, and either one could
be off and causing problems.

My car has a pair of pumps now, instead of a sender to try and fix the
starvation in right hand turns.  Don't ask, it hasn't worked quite right yet.

It is quite simple to get to the pump/sender combination.  pull up hard on
the bottom cushion, and use a long screw driver and mallet to rotate out the
plastic caps.  Then put out the cigarette, use flourescent work lights, and
stop making sparks when you access the fuel tank!

Good luck.  Easy part swap, but hard to predict which one is to blame.  You
could wire around one and test however.  With just one in the circuit, the
tank will only measure half full at best, and only reflect the fuel level on
the side thats giving a signal... but, you should quickly see which one is
unreliable.  For the cost of a new pump, I'd live with the problem.  (My Z3
does this)

Alex Lipowich
91 Z1
95 M3 Euro 3.2 LTW  ASR #8