shaking steering wheel

>>>>Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 10:23:37 -0400
From: "Manny Nolasco" <mnolasco@domain.elided>
Subject: Steering Wheel Shaking

Dear all,

After I took my 1999 323i to the dealership, and they suggested to rotate
the wheels ($40 fees), the car is shaking at high speed and especially when
I hit the brakes.  Is this due to uneven tires or I need a wheel balance
job. The tires still look good.

I could think of 3 options:
1. get new tires
2. rotate back the tires
3. get a wheel balance job

Thanks in advance for your input,
Manny<<<<<

Manny:

Something that is not unusual on E30s is that the collar nut on the steering
column becomes loose.  You get all of the symptoms you describe.  It's an
easy and cheap thing to correct.  It's located on the steering column under
the dash.  I used a large adjustable wrench.  On my car, the nut seemed snug
but it accepted a few turns with the wrench and it completely cured the
problem.  Hope this helps.

Steve Ballard
Mobile

1991 318is