E36 Idle Problem

Hello,
My name is Steve.  I'm from Seattle and have a 1992 BMW 325i 4dr/5spd with
70K miles.  I'm the second owner of the car and am experiencing an
occasional erratic idle.

Symptoms:
Idle jumps from a 600-700 rpm normal idle to 1000-1100 rpm idle.  It holds
the higher idle for a little more than a full second then drops to the lower
(normal) idle.  The jump up/down cycle typically happens anywhere from 1-7
times, and only when the car is out of gear.

The idle jump typically happens when the car is warm, and is most noticeable
when you come to a stoplight, when you press the clutch pedal to the floor
as you slowly come to a stop.

The idle jump happens rather erratically - sometimes going 500 miles between
occurrences.

Questions:
Where should I start troubleshooting?
If the problem is something complicated, can someone recommend a good
mechanic in the Puget Sound, WA region?
Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Steve