confessions of a speed freak

>So my net conclusion is that your car, if
>lucky, has 185 pounds of
>torque and 195 hp at best.

Having never put my car on a dyno, I am forced to
rely on the published, and perhaps self-indulgent
numbers provided by Dinan Engineering.  They
claim 207 hp. w/ 210 ft./lbs. for the chip alone,
and 210 hp. w/220 ft. lbs. for the chip with
their exhaust.  I must say I believe that the
modifications have given me greater than 4
ft./lbs. and 6 hp. over stock, which represents a
mere 3% increase.

>Personally I think the only increase you get
>from
>a TriFlow exhaust is
>better measured in decibels than torque.

I will not speculate as to the basis for your
opinion with regard to the tri-flow exhaust and
your indicated preference for Supersprint.  I
happen to like the sound and look; that is why I
bought it.  I don't believe it has given me a
massive gain in power, but do not consider it
inferior to the Supersprint.

>What concerns me about a pointed assault on
>a top speed at a driver
>school is the danger being introduced.   Smooth
>and steady is what every
>driver should be persuing.  That is the
>objective.  In being smooth and
>steady you will achieve faster speeds than via
>testosterone fueled
>obsession over a speedometer needle.

I agree, and will take these comments as having
been made in a general sense.  I would certainly
hope that one would not have the arrogance to
attempt to dissect another based on a few
postings made on an email digest.  As you will
recall, the issue was raised in passing with
respect to a tire inquiry, which subsequently
generated a dialogue on top speed.

>Please do post your results after your track
>day.
>Let us know what
>terminal velocity you reached.

Look for those results in early October.  In the
meantime, check out Jeremy Walton's 3-Series
Enthusiast's Companion, page 192, which cites to
two separate tests of the original (non-vanos and
thus less powerful) E36 325i in European trim (no
128 mph limiter and perhaps less weight).  Both
testers were able to reach 141 mph.  No
indication of how much room was required.  In
short, with the minor increase provided by the
modifications, a 7000 rpm limit, and the generous
straights offered by the longest track in North
America, I do expect to see 140.  However, that
is hardly the reason why I have signed up.

Ryan Braithwaite
http://finance.yahoo.com