Radiator/Fan Shroud on older BMWs?

I have two older BMWs: an '87 528e and an '84 733i. Both of
which I purchased used. Neither have an upper fan shroud (or cover).
So, on both cars you can see the top of the radiator and the fan
blades. I recently had the ZF trans rebuilt in the 528e and the
repair shop told me I had to get this shroud replaced or it would
void my warranty. None of my manuals show an upper section
to the fan enclosure. Going to the dealer they cannot find any
indication that there was, or is, such a component. None of their
parts manuals show such a part. One of the mechanics told
me that there was no upper portion on these cars . . . there
was not enough clearance. Don't know what's up.

Does anyone in the group have an 87 528e and/or an 84 733i
who can tell me if this is true. If you DO have such a shroud
or cover over the top of the radiator and fan, is there a part number
or something that will help me track down the part.

Thanks in advance for the help.
John

End of bmw-digest V9 #2203