Re: first timer at replacing front brake pads on 1988 528e

Get The Book: http://www.rb.com/product.htm?code=B588

> Is it relatively easy?
> Is a 7mm Allen wrench the only specialized tool I need?

To compress the piston you can use a C clamp or a large pair of pliers
(Channel Locks or water pump pliers).  I use a Disc Brake Pad Spreader
from Craftsman (Sears item #00947365000) or the cheaper equivalent from
Harbor Freight (item #34304-1VGA) which makes it easy to keep things
moving straight.

I use a drop of Loc-Tite Red (high temp thread locker) on the guide pin
threads during reassembly.

Aaron Ness wrote:
> I'm going to suggest that if the Brake Lining
> light on the dash came on, replace the sensor.
> If not, save your money.

That's fine if you can remove the wire from the old pad, and install it
on the new one, without destroying the plastic clip.  Mine are always
brittle from heat so they crumble when I try to pull them off.  Best to
have a spare wire on hand just in case.

I switch pads frequently (Friday evening before a track weekend, and
Sunday evening when returning the cars to street use) so I keep a sensor
wire with each set of pads, and a few extras in my toolbox small-parts
bins.
- --
Bob Sutterfield
'87 E30 325iS http://bmwe30.net #1129 DAS KAR