Re: first timer at replacing front brake pads on 1988 528e

Subject: Re: first timer at replacing front brake pads on 1988
528e

>>I'm going to suggest that if the Brake Lining light on the dash
came on,
replace the sensor.  If not, save your money.>>

That is fine...you'll see why.

>> I didn't replace the sensor because I caught it before it was
worn down to where it made contact with the rotor, which is what
provides
the ground for this light, if I'm not mistaken.>>>

Unless the 5r is different from the 3 series then the sensor is
actually a thin wire embedded in sacrifical piece of ceramic.
The ceramic gets worn down as the pad moves closer.  Once the
ceramic wears to a certain thickness the wire gets worn thru as
well and the circuit sees it as an open, triggering a brake
warning light.

As  long as the sensor is seated in the pad properly it should
never wear out until it reaches the thickness it is supposed to
trigger a warning.

People who check their pads as a matter of course (racers mostly)
and don't need the sensor can take an old sensor, solder the
leads together, plug it back in and extinguish the light
permanently.

Brakes area about as easy at it gets on a BMW.

Ric