Radio problem

My '92 325i has been electronically quirky of late.  The clock lost a
few minutes unexplainably, and now, the radio wants a code, which I've
entered, but it's still not working.

I disconnected the battery and tried reentering the code...also no joy.
I know I have to wait an hour with the radio on to try to reenter
code--does disconnecting the battery set the timer off, or do I still
have to wait the hour?  Fuses okay too.  Any thoughts.

Also, the only thing I did recently was use an air pump plugged into the
lighter socket.  Can this futz up the electronics...it's the only weird
thing I've done electrically with the car in the last couple of weeks.

Appreciate any thoughts quickly, as I'm on the road tomorrow.

Thanks.

Doug