shop for older bimmer's in San Fran

Christian,
I have no experience with them personally, but they are a member of the
International Association of Independent BMW service professionals.  I have
had very good experiences with several other shops in their organization (I
work for one).  As a general rule, you're usually better off with an
independant BMW shop than a dealership if there is one in your area.
Especially for the older cars.
Check out Vanguard Motors, Gary Grande, 350 10th St, San Francisco, CA 94103,
(415) 255-8450, <A HREF="mailto:vanguard@domain.elided";>vanguard@domain.elided</A>.
Or go to iaibmwsp.org to see the complete list of shops.
Good luck,
Jake
Terry Sayther Automotive
Austin TX