Re: New List Member with question about E36 (325IS)

Greg,

I just resolved this exact problem in my '93 325is (great car).  The
short answer is I needed to replace the rear shocks.  When I
accelerated and turned to the right hard (like pulling out from one
street on to another), the right rear tire would get light.  If there
was any kind of bump in the road, the tire wouldn't stay planted and
would bounce due to the worn shock.  It didn't happen on the other
side as the shock wasn't as worn there.  Also, while I was in there
doing the shocks, I replaced the upper shock mounts which are known
to wear and are pretty easy to replace.  The whole repair took me
about 2 hours (taking my time and working in my gravel driveway).
The process is described well enough in the Haynes book and on the
web and there's a good little tech tip at the Bavarian Autosport page
which is where I got some of the parts.  BTW, my car has a LSD which
I believe exacerbates the shuddering in this situation.

Carl
'93 325is
'72 tii
BMW CCA #71504