<E30> Sway Bar Bushing Install

While working on replacing most of the wearable suspension items, I ran
into trouble with the sway bar bushings. I can't seem to get the bracket
close enough to the subframe to be able to screw it in. I've tried lowering
the car onto its wheels like how it stated in the Bentley; however, it's
not any easier. FYI, the sway bar ends are loosely connected to the links
and the control arm so as to allow free movement.

Are there any suggestions as to how else to approach?

TIA,
Aaron

'87 325