crazy overhead warning light pod?

Hi can anybody tell me why the warning lights on the overhead panel go crazy?  I have things that are lit up that I know are ok.  Such as the coolant light and the oil light and what ever else wants to pop on.  It doesn't bother me but it sure is hurting the sell of my car.  Also whenever the motor is started the check light flases in the middle of the dash until I push the check button overhead.  Any ideas what to do next?  This car is a 1987 325i.  (4 door)

Thanks,  ben dixon