Purchase advise re 97 540I and 528I

I'm considering the purchase of either a 540 or 528.

Would appreciate any warnings or advice...

The 540 is a 97 with 87K miles.  Only noticeable
defect is the first digit of the LED that indicates
outside temperature is only 1/2 illuminated.  (didn't
know if this might be an early failure warning of the
unit)

The 528 has 72K miles.  No issues noted.

My preference is the 540.

My history is with the 3 series.  One was maintained
to exceptional condition to 205K miles.

Any concerns with longevity of the engines or
transmissions?

Anything else?  Best regards,  Rick
http://health.yahoo.com