From: owner-bmw@domain.elided [mailto:owner-bmw@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Aaron C Young
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 9:06 PM
To: bmw@domain.elided
Subject: <E30> Clutch and Suspension questions

Hi all:

I've been looking through some of the archives as I'm about to tackle
replacing my throwout bearing. I'm going to replace the other parts there
as well -- clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, pivot pin, rear
crankshaft seal...and the transmission seals. I found a lot of helpful
questions posted but most of the answers failed to get to the list. I'm
wondering if there's a FAQ someone's posted about replacing the clutch.
I've heard the top transmission torx bolt is a PITA. Are there any other
things to be aware of? Oh, and do you have rough estimates as to how long
you took?

Secondly, I'm wanting to replace my shocks/struts with bilstein sports and
also get some H&R springs. What are your opinions on them? How drastically
do they affect camber?

My mechanic also told me that I needed new control arms. He quoted me $600
parts and labor. Whoa...so I went to ultimategarage.com and found a kit
with the joints and bushings pressed in for $295. whoo wee! What else
should I be looking for in the suspension?

Thanks guys and Happy Motoring!

Aaron Young
'87 325

- --