Re: trailer lights.

> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:45:58 +1200
> From: "Chris Northover" <chris.northover@domain.elided>
> Subject: <E34> Trailer Lights
>
> Has anyone fitted trailer lights to an E34?  (Without going to the expense
> of purchasing the "towing module")  I presume the module is intended to
> allow the Check Light function to work correctly when the trailer lights
are
> on, but I would like to simply wire in some relays to operate the trailer
> lights and $ave.  Any advice?  TIA
> Chris Northover, Wellington, New Zealand
> 1990 525i
> 1983 525i
> 1983 525e

I don't remember off hand, but if the indicator light is separate from the
brake light, you will need the module as on a trailer the turn indicator
lights also act as the brake lights, If you try to hook up with out some
converter you'll blow fuses. If this is what the towing module is for then
it's just a couple of diodes to prevent those nasty little electrons from
damaging your car. You could also accomplish this using relays but you'll
need at least four. And if this isn't what the towing module is all about,
or the lights aren't set up like this on our cars, my appologies.

jason adams
'93 320i
'87 rocco 16v
'98 Z71