RE:<E36> electric seat back

I've got a 93 325is with 97,000 miles on the clock.  The power seat back
mechanism ist kaput.  All other power seat functions work, but the seat back
adjuster just hums at me when I try to recline or raise the seat back.  A
quick check of the connections and motor indicates that the electric motor
is working and does not seem to be overheating, which leads me to think that
it may be a problem with the gearbox (a $60 part).  The net and Bentley have
limited information.  I would appreciate any experience and advice from
those who may have been down this path.  Given the popularity and complexity
of power seats in BMWs, we better get familiar with their innards or throw
ourselves on the mercy of the stealer.

Can't find my seat with both hands,

Ron Sanders
RSanders@domain.elided