Ballast resistor/ aux fan switch

Hi guys and gals (have we got any ladies on  the list?)

Working on the aux fan on my 1991 E30 M42.

Fan doesn't come on with the AC.

Fan doesn't seem to come on at all, ran it hard on a 197+ degree
day and let it sit and idle with AC on and nothing ever came on.

Fan is ok.  I pulled plug off radiator and jumped two of the
terminals.  Fan on high

Jumped the other two.  No fan.

Put a ohm meter across the ballast resistor.  Nothing.

Tried to bypass the ballast resistor...blew a fuse.  OOPS!

Made a shunt at the temp switch to bypass around it and now Fan
comes on whenever AC is switched on.  Fan comes on high.  I think
I connected black to black and green ( I need to write this stuff
down when I am under the hood)

Sounds like my Ballast resistor is dead, and maybe my temp switch
is dead.

Any reliable test for temp switch?  (ie pull it and boil it with
an ohm meter to see if it opens)

At what temp should I get current to flow? (and bonus points for
anyone witha wiring diagram who can tell me what colors do what)

Thanks in advance!!!

Ric