RE: Warranty Gold Advice/Feedback?

"Eduardo E. Silva" <esilva@domain.elided> wrote:

> I also have a sedan 98 M3. I've got an extended warranty at the BMW
> dealer. The reason I did this is because not all warranties are honored
> at the BMW dealers.

- --Ed,
- --Funny you should put it like that.
- --Incompetent and overpriced BMW dealers are the biggest reason I would NOT
- --recommend buying BMW extended warranty.
- --If you go with an aftermarket warranty package most dealers will still
- --accept but you will ALSO have an option of taking your car to a competent
- --independent. BMW warranty charges the same $50/incident deductible but only
- --pays for the work done by their dealer network.

   I agree to an extend with this. I am not a handy type person, or even
mechanically inclined. I don't even change my tires when they are flat,
since I have AAA to do that -- the reason I pay too. I will top-off
oil, coolant and other 'easy' to do tasks --  including tire
pressure..;). Beyond that, I take the car to the dealer, period. Does
it cost more money ? probably. Fortunately I found decent dealers in
southern cal -- Crevier BMW -- that so far has full filled my
expectations. I also like Long Beach BMW.

Speaking of Long Beach BMW. I took my car once for some work I they
scratched my rear right door. The advisor didn't even argue. He said bring
it and we'll take care of it. He did!

> I paid for my $2600 dollars, since my car was 47k miles and two months
> away from expiration. M3 are not cheap cars to maintain and or repair,
> because of all of the technology they have. You can also put away
> $100-$200 every month to fix any breakdowns...;)

- --M3s are not that different from most other cars.
- --One thing that E36 M3 have are a lot of flaky electrics and electronics. If
- --those head south, new units (which is all the dealer will install) are
- --pretty expensive. Used ones are dirt cheap (which is an option with an
independent).
- --Another way of looking at this is if you always take your car to the
- --dealer, a warranty might have a chance of paying for itself. If you prefer
- --competent independents, most likely it never will. Unless you are really
- --unlucky or thoroughly neglect your vehicle.

   M3 are quite different than most cars, if they weren't why is it they
are the best handling sedan? Well now is the M5!. I might put used
parts on my 84 VW Golf that are not electrical or mechanical -- mirrors
for example. Can you take your M3 to any shop ? Will any shop know what
even to do ? Will you take it to MIDAS -- no offense -- for a tune up ?
Even for an oil change? Not me pal!. My car has only been touched by
BMW dealers, and I intend to keep it that way -- no, I am not Bill
Gates.

> I can bet that within six years you will be spending more than you paid
> for insurance. $2600/5years = $520 per year ( $43.33 per month).

- --That logic is fundamentally flowed in that it assumes that on average, a
- --warranty company will pay out more than they charge for their policy.
- --f you do not see a problem with the above assumption, I suggest you head
- --out straight to Vegas on the next flight and get rich fast.

   I don't get this one, since you will have breakdowns with the M3 period.

   Last but not least, most people drive M3s because of the superb
handling among other things. Unfortunately they forgot that this car is
rather pricey to keep running and maintain. Again if you are OK with
the way you keep your car and with the mechanics you deal with -- I am
glad you are.

 I asked an independent BMW shop in Anaheim Hills how much an oil service
was. He said $70! Dealers charge $50. They don't even wash the car and
they don't take you to/from work/home. Do they have loaner cars ? Nope!

I am in the computer business and deal with major companies like Sun, IBM,
Compaq etc. There are plenty of resellers ( independent dealers ) that do
service these companies' products. They do up to a point, since they don't
have the resources to solve complex problems.

Once while replacing a CPU ( $14k part) on a Sun. This 'independent'
dealer didn't installed it properly causing it to failed. They did it
again and again, until Sun came and explained to them what they did wrong.
These CPUs need to be screw-in with exact torque and with a special tool.
Have you ever seen notice how many mechanics don't use the proper torque
most of the time ? How do I know that ? they don't use tools that have
torque settings!

Just my two cents pal, and thank you for your great input!

alex f
'95 M3

Ed Silva
Silvex Consulting Inc.