Z3 suspension / tire trouble...what caused this??

Take a look at the inside of this left rear tire! Especially where it meets
the ground so you can see the wear profile. What the heck could be causing
such a problem. It's not uniform all the way around the inside of the tire
either.
It seemed like at one point while driving the car I felt the left rear squat
down while going around a low speed right hand turn while accelerating. This
is on a car that I test drove which has 50K miles on it. It needs tires and
the last thing I'd want is to put new Pilots on it and have this happen.
What are the likely candidates? Strut tower trouble or something?

Thanks and here's the photo link...

http://members.roadfly.org/canyonlands/suspension+trouble.jpg