RE: A/C quote

The $930 dollars sound in line with what A/c shops around here charge.  Is it a fair price for the amount of work done, in my opinion no.  The real question is why are you having the work done.  If the system is is not blowing cold is it because of a leak or a bad compressor.  I warn you now many people will disagree with my advice, this is cheap and dirty and has worked for me on the following cars
84 528e  Had leaked down
87 535is  leaked down
87 Alfa Milano  Bad compressor
88  VW Jetta  hole in hose
91 Jeep Cherokee Bad compressor
I have never spent more than $135 dollars converting a car.  (the Jeep compressor was $100)  most have been done for much less.

 If the compressor is running and your A/C is not cold the freon has leaked out, Freon does no go bad.  If this is the case my recomandation is to go to Auto Zone and buy the $30 dollar conversion kit and get back on the road.  It has fittings an oil charge/o ring condtioner and a couple of cans of r-134. Takes 20 minutes.  The fitting fit over the exsisting r-12 ones then you charge up and go. You may want to put in a can of stop leak in place of one can of r-134a.

If you know the compressor is bad or the system won't pull in the new r-134a or if there is a big hole in a hose etc. then consider doing some or all the work your self. Depending on your level of enviormental concern and where you will be working on the car you may want to take the car to a shop and have the A/C discharged.  Then you can take it home and and swap the parts your self and charge up with R-134.  Or if you are the type who doesn't care or can't afford to protect the enviroment. Wrap a towel around the fittings to catch the oil that will spray every where, wear gloves to avoid frostbite and eyewear then open the lines. Don't breathe the stuff either, hold your breath turn your head open a line and walk away.  Come back latter swap out any damaged parts.  Use teflon tape on the fittings, tighten them firmly but not to the point they bend or crack.  If you want you can have the system tested and charged, I generally just charge and go.  If it stops blowing cold, I have a leak. I then use a can of r134 with dye in it if needed and go from there. Of the five I have done one leaked.

Consider what parts you want to change and why, dealers and shops will want to change everything, you don't need to. If the system has leaked down  you may want to replace the dryer as they soak up moisture if exposed to air, and the componet that leaked (if it's not a lose fitting).   If the compressor went bad and you work fast after you open the system there should be no problem with the dryer.  Only replace hoses etc. that are damaged.  If you use the conversion kit there is no compatiblity issue with the new oil.  Use only a oil charge designed for conversion.  Hope this helps, use this advice at your own risk.  I have never had any problems but your results may vary, and if the EPA chases you down for dischaging Freon your own your on.  One other option though harder to find is a propane based product that can be added to freon systems to top them off  one product is Enviro-safe ES12a. Great stuff if you can find it.

Patrick Hayes