E36: Maximum Tire Size

As I recall, non-M3 E36's tend to tramline and follow road irregularities
excessively when equipped with 17" wheels and factory suspensions.  The M3
uses specific parts that allow for, among other things, the increased caster
and negative camber required to make the 17" wheels work correctly.
(Anyone know the specific parts?  Are they limited to M3 strut mounts?)

IIRC, those who have tried running 17's without the proper suspension
upgrades have been *very* disappointed with the poor results.  Many wives
have been upset by this - it isn't pretty.  <g>

For maximum grip, the E36 M3 folks tend to prefer 245/40-17's on 17x8.5"
wheels front and rear.  I believe these are stock rear sizes for '96 and
later M3's, used at all 4 corners.  (They fit in the front w/o rubbing - I
don't recall if spacers are required.)

Best of luck with the car,

Mike Crotty
1991 318is

In a message dated 6/17/02 6:36:24 PM, owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< From: Serge Maillet [mailto:serge.maillet@domain.elided]

> I'm thinking about upgrading my stock 16" alloys to
> 17" rims but before I do, I would like to know what
> is the maximum tire size I can put on front / rear
> or what is the best combination? I'm looking for the
> maximum rubber contact for the best traction. Also,
> should I go 17" or 18" ??? Thanks to all replies!

Here's my opinion...

Is your suspension still stock?  If so, and if you are
truly interested in maximum cornering traction above
all else, you should simply stay with 16" and get the
best tires you can afford in the widest size that fits
(keeping overall diameter the same of course).  This
also happens to be the cheapest solution and won't
hurt your ride quality like short sidewall tires will.
<snip>

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner >>