Re: DuraCool & Exploding BMW A/C Systems

Henri Baccouche <henrib@domain.elided> wrote:

> > Until I know more about this DuraCool R-12a, I'll stick with R-134a in
> > the cars I have converted over from R-12 and when my others need to be
> > recharged, I'll convert them over to R-134a as well.  Total cost
> > (without labor) is less than $130.00.
>
> Convert your R12 compressor over to 134a.....lemme know how long it
> lasts.

4 years and counting.
I've converted my E30 to R134a after moving to TX. Under $100 in parts and
2-3 hour of labor later the car has been cooling to 38F at the center air
vents on a 90F day (at 2K RPM).

> 134a compressors use much tighter tolerances to handle the lubrication
> issues.

What lubrication issues?
You must drain the R12-friendly oil out of the system during conversion and
fill it up with an R134a-friendly juice.
Issue closed.

> I would try this type of product first before I would convert to
> 134a.......

Why?
You would put a flamable gas into your AC system and risk a $27,500 fine
per day and 5 years in jail for what?!?

> Enviromentally, 134a is not harmless to the ozone layer. It also does
> damage to the ozone layer, but supposedly less than R12.

Nope, R134a is not ozone depleting chemical.
CFC-12 (aka R12) is.

> This was purpose of the whole faze out of R12........!?

Yep.

> Regards,
> Henri

Henri, get your facts straigt starting here:
http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/609/wantknow.html

alex f