Re: OBD for an M3--which??

Peter,

There are many arguments about OBDII.  (On Board Diagnostics version I has
been around in BMW's since '87).  OBD version II was required by the US EPA
for all '96 and later cars.  Many manufacturers phased it into production
before then, but BMW did not.  BMW made many of the 95 models until very
late in the 95 calendar year, to avoid the extra expense of OBDII.  Note
that there are no '96 5-series cars.

In many ways the OBDII adds lots of extra complication to the cars.  For
many kinds of performance upgrades and engine enhancements, the pre-OBDII
(i.e., before '96) model is easier to deal with.  There are many parts of
OBDII that complicate performance enhancements.

However, part  of the good of OBDII is that it does not require expensive
and highly specialized factory tools to access information.  The beauty of
OBDII is that with a relatively inexpensive scan tool, you can access very
detailed information about problems in many areas of the car.  The fault
codes will give you very specific problem indications.  For about $300 you
can have a tool that will give you all kinds of engine, ignition, injection,
fuel delivery, etc, information, including access to live data.  And, that
same tool will work on many other (OBDII) cars.  Pretty cool, eh?

    - Nate

Nate Smith
Optimal Auto Care - BMW
2335 Soquel Drive